Thursday, November 8, 2012

Coffee shop updates...

Hello friends, and thanks for checking in on SweetPotatoMayas :)


The super cool peeps over at World Cup Coffee on 18th & Glisan in Portland, have been kind enough to give SweetPotatoMayas, a go!  They are a locally owned coffee shop, with two locations in Portland.  

I met with Dan Welch, the owner, back in October.  That was the coffee shop I later went back to do "a hostile takeover".  

I met with the General Manager last Thursday, and when he told me they were super excited about SweetPotatoMayas, I was completely caught off-guard.  I didn't know how to react.   It's very possible he thought I was "not firing on all pistons" from that point on because, I probably had a very awkward permanent grin on my face.  We chatted about the product, the market, the client base they serve, the shop's mission and goals, my mission and goals...and the whole time, all I wanted to do was jump up and down and squeal like a little girl.  "Focus woman.  Play it cool!!!" - I kept telling myself.  I think I pulled it off.  Yep.  I'm sure of it. 

One thing is for sure, I love the vibe over at World Cup Coffee, and the people who work there are...well, let's just say they're in the right business :)  And I am so excited that they are welcoming SweetPotatoMayas into their place.  Thanks guys!


       

And the other wonderful Coffee Shop who tasted my wares was, Metro Perc.  The owner Kim, a gracious, lovely lady with a hip, vivacious energy, met with me and gave SweetPotatoMayas a try.

She was kind enough to talk to me on the phone yesterday.  And she let me know that the SweetPotatoMayas were not the right fit for her client base.  Her coffee shop is a quick, come-and-go type of place, where people want to grab a coffee with a donut or a pastry, and go.  Not sit down with a little dish of pie, where using utensils is involved. That made complete sense to me.  She also gave me some amazing advice - to look into some dessert and tea shops, or patisseries - where people plan to sit down with coffee or tea, and enjoy a delicate piece of cake or a torte.

I think that is so true!  SweetPotatoMayas are more for sitting down and enjoying, as a side dish or a dessert.  Well, you can eat it however you like :)  But for sure, it wouldn't work for people who want something easy to eat in the car.

Thank you so much Kim, for giving this a try, and for the great advice.  And thanks to my friends and family ( you goofballs! ) for going in and buying some.  You guys are awesome :)  I feel so lucky!

2 comments:

  1. Maya-san!!!
    Yes~~~! I'm s happy to hear "The Go" news!!! The path is opened, enjoy while you walk through it. Amazing~~~! And I,too, understand what Kim said. She is absolutely supportive, it's just not the right type of cafe for SPM. But...I could tell that she enjoyed the SPM while she had it at her cafe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Suburbians ain't ready to handle SweetPotatoMayas....give 'em time ;)

    ReplyDelete