Monday, August 26, 2013

Quit your whinin' and move your...

Yesterday was the Back to School Run for the Global Backpack Project.  What a fun event.  Lots of families, lots of good energy, and everyone cheering each other on.  I ran the 5K, and then jogged the Kids 1 Mile Run with my two girls and nephew.

Now, that last sentence makes it sound like I'm some sort of crazy athletic mom.  Don't be fooled.  I'm am not.  I've been running, yes.  And for some twisted reason, I like it.  But I hardly ran these last two months. Summertime trips and visits and family gatherings got me off my workout schedule, and I had my healthy share of ice cream, wine, salty meats, and cheese.  So, this run was kinda brutal.  I was thinking that, that the run was feeling hard.  But then I realized I was being  all whiny about the run being 'hard' because I didn't have enough time to practice, because I was too busy taking trips to see people I love and stuffing my face with really yummy fun foods.  So then I was like, um...hello Maya, what a tough life you have, it must be so rough for you.  Think about the kiddos in Uganda (because the backpacks goes to at-risk kids in Uganda, Turkey, USA, etc.).  And then I thought about them, but I can't say that really helped.  It didn't stop my shortness of breath or achy legs, but it was the mental slappage I needed to stop being an idiot.   Um...hello, after this you get to hop into your dry cozy car, and drive home.  Quit your whinin' and move your ass!!  ...Ya, that's basically what went on in my head, while I was running.  Just a wild guess but, I think the kids in Uganda deal with much worse discomfort, worry, and uncertainty for like, an entire lifetime.

My brother and sister-in-law came out to hang out with the kids while I ran the 5K, so that was really awesome.  My brother who is a photographer, did not take any pictures (thanks dude), so you will not see any here. But here's the most neatest part.  When I was approaching the finish line I saw my kids waving at me. And then I saw my nephew.  He has autism and is NOT at all into physical activity, and prefers video games of course :)  But he ran into the lane, up to me, and joined me to run through the finish line.  It was the best moment ever!  People were cheering us on, on either side, and he and I held hands and ran through with big smiles.  There was a really nice lady who came up to me later with her camera, and showed me this great shot she got of me and my nephew running together.  She told me she would e-mail it to me, so I hope she really does :)  It was really nice.

And if I may, I just have to mention as a proud mama that; in the Kid's 1 Mile Run, my older daughter placed 1st in girls, and my younger daughter placed 2nd place in girls!  I didn't get to see them cross the finish line (I was running with my nephew - he and I were first...from the very back!), but I was on course with them, and I was so proud!!

I went into more detail than I had planned here, but there you go!  Thank you so much for reading, and YAY for the 2nd Annual Back to School Run...we'll definitely be back next year!!  


4 comments:

  1. Good luck to you, running and having ice-cream, yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Ice-cream (preferably home made) is a must have for summertime isn't it :)

      Delete
  2. Running in all forms is great. I've heard others say that. GRIN.

    ReplyDelete