Saturday, July 6, 2013

Buying the Domain

Last weekend I went downtown to the Saturday Market.

In preparation for my annual road trip to California with my girls - we'll be there 1 week from today! - I wanted to get a couple of gifts for my two best girlfriends we always stay with.  Both of their birthdays are in August :)

Our lovely, creative, wonderful friend Susan of Mugwump, has a booth at the Saturday Market, and I wanted to buy her bags as gifts for my girlfriends.  Susan creates bags, wallets, totes and other accessories out of reclaimed/recycled materials like; discarded game boards, hardback books, record album covers, vinyl banners...so cool!  Just look at how cute they are.




And in talking with Susan, I finally got up the nerve to commit and buy the domain for SweetPotatoMayas.

I know it makes business sense, and it's one the first things small business owners should do.  But I hadn't done it yet because it didn't feel right to me.  My logic was; I have no business adding onto my expenses, when I'm basically selling just enough pies, to cover my expenses. (But you know I couldn't be happier, and I feel very grateful that I get to do what I love!)

But, I guess you gotta spend a little, if you wanna keep up with the rest of the world and give your little business a surviving chance!  So thank you Susan, for setting me straight, and for the beautiful bags I get to gift to my girlfriends in Cali :)

7 comments:

  1. Good for Susan, she put things in the right condition.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool bags and gifts. Ah... the Golden Books!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup...Golden Books are pretty swell, aren't they :)

      Delete
  4. Hey, Maya! I hope you had a wonderful trip to Cali and great fun with your friends (my best friend's birthday is in August too!) I'm sure they were thrilled with their birthday gifts - those bags are very fun and clever!

    Congrats on purchasing the domain name! I'm sure there are a lot of challenging decisions like that to be made when running a small business. An acquaintance of mine who owned a wonderful sandwich/soup/smoothie place in town had a funny plaque above her computer that said something like, "The two most overrated things in the Universe: Natural Childbirth and Owning Your Own Business." :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello miss Laloofah! I hope YOU had a wonderful trip to the Northwest! I'm looking forward to getting caught up on your trip on your blog ;)

      Yay for August birthdays! They absolutely loved their bags!!! Both of mine are fiery Leos - is yours? :)

      The funny plaque made me laugh! Yup. It's not like someone hands you a medal after giving birth naturally. I always tell the ladies, 'It ain't no competition people! Just get yourself and the baby out of there safely!'

      And it IS quite an undertaking, isn't it - owning your own business... I'm sure it is a 24/7, crazy yet fun experience, to own a sandwich/soup/smoothie place in town!! All consuming I'm sure...yikes! And if you say it's a wonderful place, I'm sure it is VERY GOOD, and that's means real honest hard work too! Wow. I know I've only scraped the little tip-top of it! I'm being quite cautious (oh let's just call it what it is - being chicken-shit) with the speed in which I go into this whole thing. Well, and I can only do what I can afford ;) But, I don't want to leave my post of first and foremost of being a mom. It sure is a tricky balancing act!!

      And so, thank goodness for this wonderful blog world outlet, to interact, get ideas, and meet awesome blog people!! It kinda keeps me focused ;) And even if they're tiny steps, I'll keep going!!

      Thank you miss Laloofah, for checking in! I hope you and your loved ones are all well, happy and healthy!

      Delete