Saturday, June 1, 2013

It's hard to believe I made these muffins, over 13 hours ago - but they were my 'fun' breakfast for the family this morning.   I love baking in the morning on the weekends, with the aroma of coffee beans filling the house (I'm a tea drinker but I still love the smell of coffee!), and kiddos still roaming around in their pajamas with their crazy bedheads :)

With what I had on hand, today was Oatmeal Whole Wheat Muffins.   With two different types of fillings: one with fresh blueberries and white chocolate chips, and the other, fresh cubed bananas with milk chocolate chips.  You see, I have one daughter who loves bananas, and one daughter who loves blueberries :)  I cut the sugar in half, threw in a couple of chocolate chips (for the extra 'fun' element on a Saturday morning for my girls), and added flax-seed meal.  It may not be the ideal 'everyday' breakfast, but weekend mornings are special when you're a kid.  And I'd rather have my girls eat a few chocolate chips for breakfast, before Captain Crunch or Pop Tarts.


The Mr. kindly took this shot for me, and then we were off - taking care of our friends' three kiddos for the day.  The two older ones are spending the night - shhhhhhhh.  They just fell asleep upstairs!  Our friends are moving this weekend.  And really, who can move one their own with a 7 year-old, a 4 year-old, and a 10 month-old, right?  So our house was filled today with laughter, running around playing games like hide-and-seek, and some 'where am I, I want mommy!' baby cries.  All wonderful sounds :)  One of our wonderful nieces came over and hung out and gave us a hand too - huge help!  Even the sun came out so we got to be outside!  Praying there will be sun again tomorrow, so we can walk over to the park, and visit the duck pond.

I'm staring at the muffin pics and just can't believe how fast the day flew by.  I thought I was going to bake another batch of SweetPotatoMayas today.  And I was actually planning to post THOSE pictures.  Yeah, that didn't happen.  I crack myself up sometimes, with my grand delusions of doing everything my mind thinks up.  

Wishing you a sunshiny, lovely weekend :)




11 comments:

  1. Now bake my favorite, blueberry. Get busy! hahahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hee-he-he! Very funny. I'm gettin' right on that :)

      Delete
  2. Yum!
    How are you?
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All is well here! - busy, in wonderful ways :) Thank you so much for popping in! How are YOU?

      Delete
  3. Step aside, Birdman, those blueberry-filled muffins are MINE, ALL MINE!!!! :-)

    We LOVE muffins for breakfast - we bake a lot of them in the winter months, especially! And you're right, it's fun to have special breakfasts on weekends, even if you're just a kid at heart. :-) I love how you gave your girls some good healthy ingredients in something that is also a fun treat!

    Goodness but you had a houseful of kiddo-energy that weekend! I couldn't have handled it, but you sound like you really enjoyed it! :-) And you're such a good friend - taking in their three little ones while their parents got moved had to have been a HUGE help to your friends! And I'll bet their kids had a great time at your house, and I hope the sun shone for you again on Sunday so you were able to visit the ducks.

    BW and I were just talking last night about how quickly the days fly by! Glad we're not alone in feeling this way, but wish we could find a way to slow them down - especially the fun ones! :-)

    Happy Father's Day to Mr. Kindly the Food Photographer, btw! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh miss Laloofah with your kind words...thank you so much for your comment. And I am rather flattered that you are challenging Mr. Birdman for the blueberry muffins :-)

      I gotta say, I have fallen off the edge of the blog-world for a bit here. Last 10 days was having our nephew stay with us while his parents vacationed in Santorini, Greece! I LOVED having him, and the time I get to have with him is irreplaceable, but man...I feel like I'm still physically recovering from it. Funny how we easily forget we're not 20 anymore and therefore cannot function without much sleep ;-)

      Honestly, having these kiddos here...they make me laugh with their silliness, and they keep me moving! It's purely a selfish act on my part ;-)

      I hope you and BW have been well, and all of your babies too. I recently spotted that shot of Willow and Mocha in a flowery meadow and just fell in love with it!! So beautiful... May all of your days be filled with sweet yellow flowers, and magnificent creatures of all kinds romping around together!

      Delete
    2. Believe me, when it comes to the Battle of the Blueberry Muffin, Birdman doesn't stand a chance. ;-)

      You ARE having a busy month! How old is your nephew? I'm glad you had such a fun time with him, and hope you've been able to catch up on your sleep. :-) And wow, a vacation in Greece - wouldn't that be something? I long to return to Europe, it's been 15 years since I was there! And here I'd naïvely thought we'd be going back every two or three years. HA! Boy, did life on Reality Street ever intrude on those Happy Thoughts!

      I'm so happy to hear you spotted and enjoyed that photo of Mocha and Willow! That was taken in Mocha's pasture at our place on the mountainside that we sold almost two years ago. That meadow was filled with wildflowers every spring, and was so beautiful! I miss that view from my windows and deck, but do love looking up at the snow-capped mountains now instead of looking down on the valley and town (and do love the convenience of being in town, too!) Thank you for your beautiful wishes! (All I really need these days is for these awful storms and destructive winds to stop!!!) I hope you have a fun and RESTFUL remainder of the week and a great weekend! :-) xoxoxo

      Delete
  4. Oh those muffins look so delicious! You are such a great baker. I'm sure your kids appreciate all that effort you put into it.

    I hate to break it out to you, but I made fried sweet potato chips :P That's my very unhealthy obsession with sweet potatos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mmmmmmm...!! Fried sweet potato chips - you are doing it up right :)

      Delete
  5. The Muffins are delicious looking, I love eating them all, yum yum.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bob! There's something special about piping hot pastries straight out of the oven, isn't there :)

      Delete